Friday, May 22, 2009

Twilight is the culprit


All books coming to the Philippines are now taxed because of this book. A top official of the Philippine Customs says the book is not educational according to their newest interpretation of the 1950 Florence Agreement.

I think the customs official does not read books at all. Or she has no teenage children or else they would feed her to the vampires.

I am often frustrated that my daughters do not read the books on my shelf which I heartily recommend especially the books by Dawkins. Or the science fiction of Asimov, Clarke or Brin. My son has read the Foundation series of Asimov but he has not lifted the cover of the Eternal Golden Braid.

If it is any consolation, my younger daughter is now reading because of Twilight. Hopefully she'll graduate to serious stuff soon. The older one recently graduated from college. Alas, all she has read are the Potter series and now this Twilight and its sequels.

Sometimes in my desperation I think our Customs should ban all books of the Twilight genre. I am kidding, of course, because I do enjoy fiction like the Potter books.